Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Is the Scott Brown Euphoria a little premature?

Upon learning of Scott Brown's victory in the Massachusetts senatorial race, I had planned on posting some triumphant and patriotic videos to celebrate the victory. But after a tad bit of reflection on Tuesday, I realized there may not be all that much to get excited about. I have my doubts as to whether Brown is really the savior that will ultimately stop ObamaCare dead in its tracks. Hence, I decided to hold back and not post any celebratory videos.

At a Press conference on Wednesday, Brown told reporters, "I'm not beholden to anybody. I've made that very clear." In his victory speech last night, Brown credited the "independent majority" for his victory. And on Wednesday he said, "I'm going to be a Scott Brown Republican. Maybe there is a new breed of Republican coming to Washington," USA Today reported.

When asked if he sees himself as the senator to put the brakes on the Obama agenda, "he didn't really answer it," USA Today reported. "He said he had a nice conversation with the president."

With regards to Brown's position on health care reform and bipartisanship, the Washington Post reports:
Scott Brown said he expects to be seated quickly in the U.S. Senate, but he was conciliatory on the question of what he will do there, noting that he voted for universal health insurance coverage in Massachusetts and wanted his election to encourage a new bipartisanship in Washington.

"We're past campaign mode: I think it's important for everyone to get some form of health care," Brown told a news conference Wednesday morning. "So to offer a basic plan for everybody I think is important. It's just a question of whether we're going to raise taxes, we're going to cut a half at trillion from Medicare, we're going to affect veterans' care. I think we can do it better."

"We have 98 percent of our people insured here," he said at another point. "We know what we need to fix it."...

"The number one thing I've heard is that people are tired of the business as usual," he said "And what does that mean? That means that behind-the-scenes deals... have just driven people crazy... And if I can just be the 41st senator and bring it back to the drawing board, there are some very good things in the national plan that's being proposed..."
Rush Limbaugh played the following song [parody] on his radio program today:

"The Day ObamaCare died"



I wish I could join in on the celebration, but I don't think ObamaCare is finished just yet, especially if Mr. Unbeholden has anything to say on the matter....

No comments: